Kochman Family RV-10 Rotating Header Image

Horizontal Stabilizer

Deburring, dimpling, and priming the horizontal stabilizer – Part 3

The kit’s previous owner had already primed the front spar, inspar ribs, stringers, and stringer web. That left the nose ribs, rear spar, and skins. We’re prepping by scuffing with ScotchBrite and cleaning with acetone. For primer, we’re using SEM self-etching primer–I’ve heard good things about it, the previous owner used it, and he gave us a few cans. Works for me. We sprayed it outside, for obvious reasons. Here I am doing one of the HS skins.

Deburring, dimpling, and priming the horizontal stabilizer – Part 2

First time using the countersinking cages. Took a while to get everything set up correctly and decide whether I prefer the air drill or the cordless. I decided on the air drill, though I think that has something to do with the cordless not being very straight. I didn’t experience any “chatter” either way.

Deburring, dimpling, and priming the horizontal stabilizer – Part 1

Not much exciting here. I deburred a bunch of holes, then introduced Kelly to the DRDT-2 dimpler. The DRDT-2 really is as great as everyone says it is.